Deep Silver Dambuster Studios has an exciting opportunity within their highly talented and experienced art department for a Technical Artist. You will be joining the team working on the next game in the widely successful Dead Island series. Our passion is to develop immersive gameplay experiences to the highest levels of quality and visual realism, with an emphasis on smart and innovative technology that adds long-term value to the business. We are seeking an individual who is eager to join our technical art team and make a real contribution to the success of our next project.
Please note that this is not a Technical Animator position, although some experience in other areas of game development is always welcome!
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create state-of-the-art real-time visual effects in collaboration with the Technical Art Director and the Core Tech Team.
- Create outstanding lighting for environments and cutscenes under the guidance of the Art Director and Technical Art Director.
- Work with the Technical Art and Core Tech Teams to develop new technology, improve workflows, and resolve technical issues as required.
- Work with the Technical Art Team to manage and organise the art data.
- Assist the Art Team with technical issues and help define and enforce best practice.
- Good knowledge of art, lighting and material pipelines in a modern game engine.
- Understanding of physically based rendering principles.
- Strong understanding of Photoshop and either Maya or 3ds Max.
- A thorough and methodical approach to problems.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work well in a team.
- Open to critique and guidance from the Technical Art Director and others in the team.
- Eager to learn, develop and improve; and help other team members to do the same.
- Curious, self-motivated and able to identify and diagnose visual problems independently.
- Strong interest in playing video games.
- Adaptable and versatile.
A portfolio is required which demonstrates at least two of the following:
- Effects work within a modern game engine (can be particle or material / mesh based).
- Lighting work within a modern game engine.
- Pre-rendered effects work (can be particle or material / mesh based).
- Pre-rendered lighting work.
- Scripting / automation of tasks.
- Experience with one or more of the following:
- Substance Designer / Painter
- Python or other scripting languages
- Unreal Engine 4
- Experience with performance optimisation and memory management.
- Previous experience on a AAA game development team.
What we can offer you:
- An industry competitive salary.
- A creative and collaborative work environment with genuine opportunities to progress within the studio.
- Cutting edge development environment with access to the latest technologies.
- Funded learning and development opportunities.
- An experienced, passionate and diverse team.
- An exciting high-profile project.
- A vibrant, modern and well serviced city centre location.
- Gym membership scheme.
- Free financial advice.
- Salary sacrifice based workplace pension scheme.
- Annual pay reviews.
- Employee referral bonus scheme.
- Group life assurance policy.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Relocation support.
And a whole host of other soft benefits that help make Dambuster such a great place to work:
- Flexible start and end times to the working day.
- Support and encouragement to participate in outreach opportunities.
- Twice yearly studio funded team building events.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Regular performance and development appraisals.
- Weekly events such as breakfast Monday, coffee Wednesday and pastry Friday.
- Monthly project and studio updates.
- Seasonal events such as Halloween, Easter and the countdown to Xmas with charity bake sales, raffles and costume competitions for those who wish to participate.
- Annual Christmas party and family focused summer BBQ.
- Free fruit & soft drinks.
- Peer nominated SuperStar of the month award.
Due to the high number of applications received, we regret it is not always possible to reply to all applications; however, we would like to thank you for your time and interest in our company.