Deep Silver Dambuster Studios has an exciting new opportunity for an individual to lead our game code department as they work on the next instalment in the zombie action survival series, Dead Island.
The Lead Gameplay programmer’s primary responsibility is to build and manage a team who enable other departments to take gameplay features from concept to completion, realizing their vision in the required game environment and facilitating high quality gameplay.
The Lead Gameplay Programmer should spread knowledge of best practices and system architecture across the wider team. They should have an overall awareness of the needs of the game and be able to translate these into a set of systems which are flexible while meeting the high standards of engineering quality defined by the studio engineering director. The lead should provide guidance where needed on problems that arise.
The Lead should be passionate and proactive about maintaining the team’s effectiveness through cultivating an environment where team members feel empowered, valued, engaged, and able to raise concerns freely. This will include mentoring and regular one on one catch-ups with team members– providing guidance and assistance and acting as a point of escalation/arbitration for any problems, issues, or disputes that occur.
If you like the sound of the above and you are an experienced Lead Gameplay Programmer or a Senior Programmer ready to step up, we want to hear from you!
While we know what we are looking for, it is unlikely that any one person will meet all of the criteria outlined below. You may have attributes or skills that we have not realised are crucial to our success yet so please do get in touch if you feel you have something special to offer us in this role. Give us the opportunity to decide if you are the right person for the role.
- Preferably at least one published AAA game title in a programming leadership role
- Excellent C/C++ programming skills.
- Leadership skills with the ability to delegate
- Strong 3d maths, software engineering & problem solving skills.
- The ability to identify opportunities to optimise code in order to remain within performance and memory budgets.
- The ability to understand and debug other programmers' code.
- A desire to learn new skills and build on existing abilities.
- Should be able to work amongst cross discipline groups in the delivery of shared goals.
- Great communication skills, friendly, open minded, positive, self-motivated, proactive and the ability to direct a team and work with senior level stakeholders.
- A genuine interest in playing games.
Nice to Have
- Previous experience working in a specialist area. E.g. AI, Physics, Networking, Audio. Project Management knowledge
- Experience of console development.
- Third party game engine experience.
Our Hiring Process
- Submit your CV for review by our Engineering and HR Departments
- If successfully shortlisted, you will be asked to complete a 90 minute code test
- Upon passing the test, you will be invited for an interview with the Studio Engineering Director and at least one member of the Engineering Leadership team
What’s in It for you?
Aside from the opportunity to work on the highly anticipated, next instalment of the AAA Dead Island franchise, we are a studio that offers a host of benefits and perks.
• An industry competitive salary.
• A creative and collaborative work environment with genuine opportunities to progress within the studio.
• Cutting edge development environment with access to the latest technologies.
• Funded learning and development opportunities.
• An experienced, passionate, and diverse team.
• A vibrant, modern, and well-serviced city centre location.
• Gym membership scheme.
• Free financial advice.
• Annual pay reviews.
• Employee referral bonus scheme.
• Cycle to work scheme.
• Relocation assistance.
And a whole host of other soft benefits that help make Dambuster Studios such a great place to work:
• Flexible working around core hours.
• Support and encouragement to participate in outreach opportunities.
• Quarterly company funded team building events.
• Weekly treats: including breakfast on Mondays and pastries on Fridays. *
• Free fruit, hot and cold drinks.
• Annual Christmas party and family focused summer BBQ. *
• Peer nominated SuperStar of the month award.
* Some of the above in-studio benefits are on hold while most of our team are working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Due to the high number of applications received, we regret it is not always possible to reply to all applications; If you have not heard back within 2 weeks, then you have not been successful at this time, but we would like to thank you for your interest.